I used the bulb auger a couple of weeks ago to put in some Dianthus Amazon plants, and it worked pretty well. Though I suppose some would laugh at this, I used a 100 ft. tape measure to space them. It’s actually an easy way to get a straight line and correct spacing at the same time. Plus, it rolls up in a jiffy, which is more than I can say for a string and a stick.
I still had to bend over to set the plants in the holes, but it didn’t seem to take as long.
Thirty plants in – a couple thousand to go.
Update, June 16: Now that I’ve put in all of my plants that were grown in 72 and 36 cell trays, I have a different view of the bulb auger. It is just too slow for that kind of work. I can make a hole with one flick of a trowel that is plenty deep to set a plant in. Twelve flicks take about thirty seconds, using the trowel itself as a spacing guide, and I’m ready to pop the plants in and cover them. It’s true that I have to be bent over to do everything then, but I just shuffle along on my knees and it’s not too hard on my back.
Now I am looking longingly at jab-type transplanters.
Maybe if this is a good year at the market…